We’re excited to be returning to Spark Monument Circle in the summer and fall of 2022 with free, daily activities and recreation for the public. Working in partnership with Downtown Indy and the City of Indianapolis, Big Car Collaborative will again approach working at the Circle as site- and community-specific socially engaged art. And we’re seeking an artist or artists to work with us at the Circle.
This contract position, at a flexible 15-20 hours per week, runs through October 23 and starts as soon as possible. Pay is an $8,000 stipend. Big Car provides supplies, materials, facilities, etc. So all of the stipend will go to the artist or artists. Teams or partners/collaborators are welcome to apply. We’re seeking applications before midnight on June 30. Artists of any genre (performing arts, theater, visual art, music, literary, etc.) who are interested in working with the public are encouraged to apply.
Big Car’s Monument Circle Artist in Residence assists our lead staff artists in the creation and implementation of art-focused projects and programs during the 2022 summer/fall return of Spark at our city’s most important public plaza, Monument Circle. The Circle Artist in Residence will work in socially engaged ways with guests/community members by facilitating activities at our pop-up public place and welcome center — and elsewhere on Monument Circle. The Circle Artist in Residence will assist with data tracking, documentation, and promotion — including via our social media efforts. Additional duties include helping maintain a clean space and unpacking, monitoring, and packing up Spark equipment and supplies. This position helps make Spark: Monument Circle a great visitor experience. The Circle Artist in Residence will have input into our approaches and be encouraged to suggest ideas for programming and projects as part of these duties.
We appreciate a self starter and also encourage independently-driven projects tailored to the artist’s particular curiosities, skills and interests. For all artist residencies – detail orientation, conscientiousness, innovative thinking, empathy and a dedicated interest in the art world is a must. Curiosity and the ability to ask questions is highly valued, as this is first and foremost an opportunity for the applicant to learn.
To apply, e-mail a cover letter and resume/cv to [email protected] by June 30, 2022.
- Create and implement your own and others’ programs, projects, and small events.
- Welcome visitors to Monument Circle
- Supply guests with information about Monument Circle, Indianapolis, and featured daily presenters and activities
- Facilitate the visitor experience of current exhibits, programs, and events at Monument Circle, including things like games for loan, art activities, the postcard project etc.
- Sign up guests who are interested in receiving updates about Spark and other programs
- Support SPARK social media, documentation, and data tracking while working.
- Familiarity with nonprofit and/or arts programming preferred, but not required
- Customer service or stage/artistic interaction (like performing) experience preferred
- Social media and photography skills a plus
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Friendly attitude; comfort interacting with the public
- Listening skills
- Willingness to learn about new projects on an ongoing basis
- Flexibility and adaptability in a dynamic work environment
- Ability to anticipate tasks
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Must be able to lift at least 50 lbs.
- Must be amenable to a non-traditional workplace and be comfortable working outdoors in various weather conditions
- Must have cell phone and own transportation or access to transportation
About Big Car
As a nonprofit art and design organization, Big Car Collaborative utilizes tools of culture and creativity to build community and social cohesion — helping connect people as a way to boost quality of life. Formed in 2004 and based in Indianapolis, we also work in other communities and collaborate with artists from around the world.
As an adaptive and flexible cultural organization, we draw together people of all backgrounds to promote and perpetuate creativity, invigorate public places, and support neighborhoods. Big Car is a creative community builder working to boost livability from an engagement-based arts perspective. Our mission statement: We bring art to people and people to art, sparking creativity in lives to support communities.
About Spark Monument Circle 2022
A partnership with Downtown Indy and supported by the City of Indianapolis, Spark 2022 builds on Big Car’s previous Spark Monument Circle in 2015. Spark energizes shared public spaces with fun and interactive human-scale experiences. Spark enlivens and energizes public places with games, music, art, and more. Spark activates and celebrates our most culturally rich shared spaces. Spark creates opportunities for connections among fellow citizens.